The Human Resources Department (HR) forms the backbone of any company or organisation. It is linked to every department and division and it is usually a paper-based operation. Intranet enables HR departments to streamline their processes by having an instant means of communication with personnel.
HR departments use the intranet for:
- Keeping staff members informed and providing support regarding policies, agreements, codes of conduct, employment conditions and manuals
- Publishing calendars, events, training opportunities and special occasions
- Advertising internal vacancies
- Access to leave forms, payslips and time-sheets
- Facility where staff can update their personal details and direct requests
- Sharing of reports, document libraries and e-manuals
- Addressing the social needs of staff members such as a social club or an internal social network
In addition the HR department can add value by investing in website intranet HR modules. These modules contain various features that are a necessity to your business and can be easily installed on a company’s servers.
Human Resources Modules include:
Employee Management System - allows user to perform general HR tasks such as life cover, medical aid management and employee history
Leave Management System - managing leave by keeping track of employee leave, leave applications leave records and types of leave
Vehicle Management System - documents vehicle information regarding fleet management and maintenance and a complete list of fleet vehicles
Appraisal System - pre-appraisal assessments, records of information and key performance indicators
Recruitment System - finding suitable candidates and capturing CVs and information
Contacts Module - setting up of a contacts information and management system
Resources Booking System - managing all resources including people, equipment and stock
Disciplinary Module - capturing procedures, policies and codes of conduct
Skills Development Module - tracking skills development programs and processes and setting up of plans
Learner Management System - training schedules, presentation of courses and general learner management.
The benefits of an intranet HR system are only reaped if employees are trained and encouraged to use it. If everyone uses the intranet HR, the HR department is transformed to a 24/7 facility and the processes of disseminating and collecting of information, as well as performing general HR tasks are efficient.
INTRANET Design - Keep it Smart but Simple
An intranet is an excellent corporate communication tool. It brings much needed transparency, an economic way of disseminating information and a medium for employees to be involved and operational.
It is important to continuously update intranet software and functionality to keep up with growing demands and expectations of users. The design of the intranet plays the biggest role as it needs to be practical and generate the desired results.
The company or person who designs your intranet should pay attention to the following before commencing with the design:
- Clearly defined categories and divisions and easy to navigate
- Involve management, employees and other users in the functionality, preferences and look and feel
- A dependable back-up system to protect databases and information
Features of a smart, but simple intranet:
- User friendly, tried and tested features and technology
- Appealing design without using too many colours and graphics
- Ongoing design improvements and new technologies
- Accessible to computer and mobile users alike
- Making use of a wide spectrum of solutions and intranet modules
- Development is based on user behavior and researched methods
- Proper search features and search quality
- Uses a content management system (CMS) to maintain content consistency
- All applications are online, using browser technology
- Has a self diagnostic system
If you invest in a properly designed intranet, you are ensured of a return on investment. Improved intranet design means satisfied users, easy grasping of features and improved usability resulting in less support expenses. Intranet support is a necessity but it is an expensive service. The smarter the design and functionality of your intranet, the less users will need to ask for support assistance.
A decrease in intranet use does not necessary mean there is something wrong with your intranet. It usually indicates that users are familiar and comfortable with their intranet and they know where to get the content they need and that is the main objective of having a simple but smart intranet.
GET A QUOTE
Tell us what you need and we'll send you a quote!
See how Intoweb can help you maximize your business. We offer various solutions to manage clients, staff, contacts, finances and more.
Websites are no longer static information areas. Evolve your website into a platform that can integrate with your Intranet and reach the full potential of client communication.
INTERESTED? WE'LL CALL YOU
Can't wait? CONTACT US