Insurance in South Africa
We all know that accidents happen and the health and possessions we have today may be gone tomorrow, this is especially true in South Africa where theft and loss is an unfortunate part of everyday life. For this very reason most individuals have some or other type of insurance policy to cover a number of daily needs.
There are dozens of insurance companies in South Africa, each offering an array of services to meet the varied needs their clients may have, however the most popular varieties of insurance policies in South Africa include:
- Car Insurance
- Household Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
Car Insurance in South Africa
There are a number of car insurance companies in South Africa, each offering a variety of car insurance specials from which to choose. South Africans can also choose from a range of insurance options for the vehicles such as:
- Comprehensive Car Insurance - This car insurance option generally includes complete cover in the event of a vehicle accident or the theft thereof.
- Third Party Car Insurance - The cheapest car insurance option available in South Africa as most car insurance companies will only pay for the damage you have caused to another individual’s property and not your own.
- Third Party Car Insurance with Additional Extras - Similar to the abovementioned car insurance option, but may include the reimbursement of your insured vehicle in the event of theft, fire or other natural disasters as stipulated on your auto insurance contract.
Household Insurance in South Africa
Many South African households have some sort of insurance coverage for their homes and the contents therein. This is mostly for theft, however many insurance companies also cover the structure of the home such as the roof, pipes and so forth.
Many insurance companies in South Africa offer a reduced rate to their clients when they insure both their vehicle and their homes with the same company.
Health Insurance & Medical Aids in South Africa
Health insurance policies in South Africa are numerous, excluding the copious amounts of Medical Aids available to individuals in the country. A medical aid is generally only used for either day to day medical bills or hospital visits and naturally medical emergencies. Health insurance policies are often taken out over and above a medical aid and offer a number of benefits such as:
- Cash Payments for Hospital Stays
- Funeral Cover
- Disability Cover
- Disease and Long Term Illness Cover
Life insurance policies in South Africa are common and some banks may insist that individuals take out a life insurance policy if they want to apply for a loan. Most life insurance policies provide full coverage for accidental death and terminal illnesses.
Policy holders can sometime also choose between having a large lump sum paid out to their beneficiaries or have monthly sum paid out for a period of time. Naturally this will be dependent on the life insurance company as well as the policy on offer.
Tips for Choosing the Best Insurance Quote
Regardless whether you are looking for car insurance, household or health insurance you will have to do some research before committing to an insurance company. Say for example you are looking for car insurance for your brand new vehicle. Naturally you will be looking for the cheapest car insurance or most affordable option, but with the most benefits.
- Choose a number of well-known and reputable insurance companies and contact them for a car insurance quotation.
- When communicating with a car insurance broker or filling in a form for an online car insurance quote make sure you provide truthful and accurate information at all times. This will influence your auto insurance premium and may also affect certain claims if you are not truthful.
- Ask as many questions as possible when discussing a car insurance quote with a company. Good questions to ask include:
- How much will my car will be insured for?
- What will my excess payments will be?
- Will my auto insurance include third party insurance?
- Find out if the car insurance company provide additional services such as towing for breakdowns, trip advisors, roadside assistance and so forth.
- Enquire about any extras the car insurance company may also offer, such as cash incentives, special deals on motor related items and so on. Although many of these extras are nice to have, they should not rule the decision making process.
- Lastly and most importantly choose a car insurance company you feel most comfortable with. After all you will be communicating and doing business with them for an indefinite period and it is important that you feel at ease and well looked after during this time.